9.12.2007

Jake Gillespie: The Alphabet Series

This is the first of two posts about a show opening at the Sheldon this Friday. Jake Gillespie and Nolan Tredway will both be showing work. The opening is from 5-7 pm this Friday, Sept. 14.



Jake Gillespie has been a painter for as long as I have known him. He has also been a cartoonist and animator, though that has been more recent. I've gotten to help him on the technical end of that, which makes me feel wonderfully connected to a "real artist."

Jake's paintings are large, and what I like very much about them is that they don't pick one feel or style or technique of painting to fill the canvas. Instead, levels of high detail are found next to large strokes of soft, bright, or muted colors. They also incorporate plenty of humor, irony, and mediation, which are all things I'm fond of.

I am now also the proud owner of this Jake Gillespie painting:



The Boss and The Hulk, oil on canvas, 30 x 46", 2006.

No comments: